Are you wanting to schedule a massage, but you don’t know which type to get? No problem! At Sage Blossom Massage, you do not have to make that choice when you set an appointment. We do, however, want to help you learn about the different types of massage and their therapeutic benefits.
Different Types of Massage and Their Benefits
Massages are generally described in three categories: relaxation, deep tissue, and prenatal.
Depending upon your needs, such as anxiety relief, chronic pain relief, or a holistic measure to help you sleep better–we just want you to feel free of stress and pain–you will receive a custom-designed massage from us. Getting regular massages can also reduce your overall stress level–which can help to boost your immunity and make you less likely to get sick.
Swedish Massage (Relaxation Massage)
Swedish massage is a standard full-body massage that induces relaxation.
Take a deep breath…we all need relaxation! Did you feel that?
The main types of strokes used in Swedish massage are long and relaxing strokes, but can also include some kneading and rolling, lifting, wringing, small circular movements, and percussion.
The focus of a Swedish massage is not on specific areas of tension or pain. Instead, it provides entire-body therapy that helps to reduce anxiety, ease muscle pain, provide tension relief, improve sleep, and boost energy.
Aromatherapy Massage (Relaxation Massage)
An aromatherapy massage is a Swedish massage that includes essential oils. Essential oils are pure plant oils that contain the essence of the plant which supports health and well-being.
Particular essential oils, such as lavender, are known to induce calm, serenity, and relaxation.
Our massages always include a mint scalp massage and warm sage towels on your back, neck, and feet.
Imagine adding (after your massage) a warm thermal Relaxation Wrap with coconut oil and your choice of essential oil mix (lavender eucalyptus and sage, orange ginger, or rosemary mint).
Deep Tissue Massage
Deep tissue massage provides focused benefits, compared to a Swedish full-body relaxation massage.
If you suffer from an injury or have chronic pain, you need deep, specific work.
Deep tissue massage involves strokes that target the inner layers of your muscles and connective tissues. This type of healing therapy often focuses on areas of dysfunction and post-injury, especially in (but not limited to) the neck, shoulder, and lower back.
Deep tissue massage helps to break down the formation of scar tissue following injury. This type of massage therapy also breaks down muscle knots or painful areas of rigid tissue that can lead to poor circulation, additional pain, inflammation, stiffness, and limited range of motion.
Combined Massage Techniques
Massage therapists often custom combine other modes of massage therapy with relaxation and deep tissue massage, such as:
- Myofascial (typically a combination of relaxation, deep tissue, and stretching therapy designed to manipulate connecting tissues to organs, arteries, bones, and muscles, designed to remove stiffness and promote pain relief)
- Trigger point (combination of Swedish and deep tissue massage, designed to remove knots or tightness in specific areas of discomfort)
- Sports (combination of deep tissue and other targeted massages, designed to relieve performance-related pain, helps with flexibility, and wards off injuries)
- Shiatsu (combination of therapeutic techniques including deep pressure, kneading, soothing, tapping, and stretching, designed to raise the energy level and provide a sense of revitalization)
- Thai (combination of deep pressure massage, yoga-like stretching, and targeted pressure point therapy, designed to reduce stress levels, and to improve circulation and flexibility)
- Reiki (combination of several techniques and different pressure levels, designed to gently balance the flow of energy within your body to develop emotional, mental, and spiritual well-being)
That is what we want for you…balanced, stress-free, pain-free, energized, and feeling emotionally, mentally, and spiritually well!
Expectant mothers have special needs due to the dramatic changes that come with pregnancy, and yes, massage helps!
Prenatal massage is a Swedish relaxation massage designed to reduce anxiety, as well as relieve muscle and joint pain and tension. Massage reduces the discomfort that comes with pregnancy and uncomfortable skeletal and circulatory shifts.
Various studies reflect that massage therapy can improve the hormonal balance during pregnancy which helps with overall mood regulation and circulation.
Massage therapy during pregnancy can also reduce back pain, joint pain, edema (swelling), muscle tension, and headaches.
Schedule a Massage Today
With our custom-designed massage, you don’t have to choose between relaxation and deep tissue! Need a little of both? You have our resounding YES!
At your visit, you and your LMT will discuss areas that are hurting, what you hope to achieve, and what kind of pressure you like. If you need deep work for chronic shoulder pain but need to relax, let go of anxiety, and sleep better, we’ve got you!
Are you in the Austin, Texas area and needing a massage?